What can be most frustrating when trying to get hired as a marketing specialist? The lack of experience is often the dealbreaker during a recruitment process, for students and beginners alike. This is why marketing internships should be on your list of priorities. An internship will allow you to accumulate the much-needed experience by getting hands-on with the job and applying the theory you learned so far.
However, a marketing internship can do much more than provide experience. It will give you the chance to see how things are in real life. It is one of the best ways to become familiar with the ways of using marketing for the benefit of companies. At the same time, a marketing internship can bring benefits to you, helping you increase your chances of getting a job at the desired company. Continue reading to find out more benefits of such an internship and find out helpful tips for when you’re looking to apply for an internship.
- What kind of benefits a marketing internship will provide?
Probably one of the most important benefits of opting for an internship is the advantage you’ll earn for recruitment purposes. Candidates that completed a marketing internship will certainly stir more interest in the eyes of hiring companies, in comparison to those that didn’t. So, if you’re having a hard time finding a job or you want to do your best to increase your chances of being hired, an internship will help out.
- Discover what interests you the most
Marketing is a vast domain, which makes it so attractive and interesting. Do you know what you like most about this activity domain or what’s your interest area, as a professional? A marketing internship will give you an insight into how things work on the job, helping you decide what you like doing the most.
So, don’t be afraid to try things about and put your ideas to action. It is the only way you can verify what really works and what doesn’t. It is okay not to know everything, to go through trial & error processes, and seek areas in which you perform best.
- Find out what you’re doing right or wrong
Although most of us are frightened when it comes to making mistakes, it is one of the best ways to learn. When you’re engaged in an internship, you will receive feedback regarding your actions and performances. If you don’t, then don’t hesitate to ask for it. It is normal for beginners to make mistakes. The best part is when you learn from your mistakes and use these experiences to become a reliable professional.
- It will be a boost for your confidence
Even if you get a job, you’ll find it challenging to practice what you learned theoretically during courses. Also, in real life, there are factors that could change a situation and this can only be learned by practicing. An internship will give you the chance to practice and learn until you get a real job. It will act as a buffer, getting you used to the responsibilities and processes specific to your area of expertise.
You will feel much more confident in your own strengths and abilities once you get the chance to apply and use everything you learned in school. This confidence will be of great use once you start looking for a job.
- A great way to do networking
Since you will work in a real company, you’ll get the chance to meet a lot of people. The best part is that they are people activating in the same domain as you are on in similar domains. It is the most valuable kind of networking you can experience. Networking will open doors to opportunities that may not become available in other conditions. When you meet people and manage to show your value, you may end up on the right track, from a professional point of view.
- You may even get a job
It’s not a secret that companies may choose to hire interns that prove themselves worthy for the business. So, try to perform well during your internship, since it will help you learn things and make a good impression as well, and such an opportunity may arise. If it doesn’t, you shouldn’t feel discouraged because your chances of getting hired in another company increased considerably, due to the completed internship.
Helpful tips when applying for a marketing internship
- Are you passionate about marketing and do you want to make a difference in this activity field? Then make sure to show your passion when applying. Doing so will increase your chances of getting an internship. Also, volunteering for various organizations or tapping into free courses online will also underline your passion for marketing.
- Know what skills you want to improve. This will make the internship more valuable since you are aware of the goals you want to reach. Thus, make sure to write this kind of aspect in your application, as it shows a desire to learn.
- Just like when you’re applying for a job, an internship will require a CV, since candidates are selected based on how fit they are to occupy a position. It is a good opportunity to practice your writing skills and ways of presenting yourself in words. Be creative and try to stand out, if you want to increase your chances.
- Make the CV suitable for the internship you’re aiming to obtain. It is not recommended to use a generalist approach when preparing your CV. It is highly advisable to come up with a CV tailored to the purpose. So, think about the role you want to obtain and make the CV relevant for the role. This rule applies when looking for a job as well.