Home Lifestyle How to scrap a car

How to scrap a car

by luxirare

When your vehicle is in an unsuitable state to be driven on the roads then it’s time to consider what to do next. You won’t be able to sell the car on, so you need to do the quickest and safest thing to get rid of it, and that’s where scrapping vehicles comes in. 

You may not receive a large sum of money for scrapping a vehicle but it’s better than nothing and can be done in an efficient manner leaving you with very little to do. These days, a lot of the work can be done online. When you use a company such as Car.co.uk, you will contact then to find your closest scrap yard and they will take care of the rest. Your vehicle will be collected free of charge and a lot of the paperwork is done for you. However, there are important steps you need to take to ensure you do it all in a legal manner and don’t incur any extra costs. 

Use an Authorised Treatment Facility

The first thing you need to know when scrapping your vehicle is that it needs to be taken to an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF). These are scrap yards that are licensed to scrap vehicles by the Environmental Agency.

 It is important to use these as they will make sure that the vehicle is scrapped safely and with as little damage to the environment as possible. An ATF is legal and therefore will follow all legislations when scrapping your vehicle, they will also provide you with a Certificate of Destruction which proves you are no longer the legal owner of the vehicle. 

However, you need to be aware of illegal scrap yards that will try to take your vehicle away. Using, Car.co.uk, you will only find ATF approved yards that will deal with scrapping your vehicle in a professional way that meets the law. 

As of 2013, the Scrap Metal Dealers Act states that the scrap yard must take proof of your identification and address, and the transaction must be done through bank transfer or cheque, not cash. If either of these things are missing during your transaction then you should avoid them at all costs. 

Scrapping the vehicle without keeping parts 

If you have chosen to scrap the vehicle with all of parts, which is usually the case then there are certain procedures you must follow in-order to do so legally.

  • Apply to keep your private number plate 

If you have a private number plate then you may wish to have it taken off and transferred onto your new vehicle. You can do so by contacting the DVLA and filling out a form to have the plate transferred or retained. 

  • Have the vehicle scrapped at an ATF 

Find your local ATF and contact them directly to inform them that you wish to have your vehicle scrapped. From here they will most likely collect your vehicle free of charge. 

  • Hand in your log book (V5C) 

Your log book is a slip of paper that proves you are the registered keeper of the vehicle. When your vehicle is collected, you will need to hand this over as you will no longer be the owner of the car. Make sure that you keep hold of the yellow slip which states ‘Sell, transfer or part-exchange’ as proof that the vehicle has been taken away. 

If you don’t have your log book this isn’t a problem, there are other options you can take to have your vehicle scrapped. 

  • Inform the DVLA 

On your behalf, this is one of the most important steps you must take, if you do not tell the DVLA that the vehicle has been scrapped then they will still think you are the owner. With this, you will continue to pay tax, or face a £80 vehicle tax fine. 

  • Receive your Certificate of Destruction

Once the vehicle has been scrapped, the ATF will issue you with a Certificate of Destruction. It is essential that you keep this as it is proof that you are no longer the legal owner of the vehicle and are not responsible for it. 

If you scrap your vehicle with a dodgy scrap yard, they may try and offer you a fraudulent document that resembles the real one. Unless it is clearly stated as a Certificate of Destruction, it is not legal. 

Scrapping the vehicle and keeping parts 

If you decide to keep some parts of the vehicle, or even sell them separately, then you will follow the same steps as above with some exceptions. 

  • Before getting rid of the vehicle, you will need to inform the DVLA that it is no longer on the road. It will be declared as SORN which means it must remain parked in your garage or on your drive to avoid being fined.

  • Once you’ve done so, and had the number plate removed, you can remove the parts you want to sell on. Unless you are a mechanical expert, it is not recommended that you do this, as you won’t have the appropriate experience and you may not make any money from the parts. 

From here, the same rules follow. Once the car has been taken, inform the DVLA and make sure you receive your Certificate of Destruction. 

You may also like

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More